Studded tire fee
Frequently Asked Questions

  • I bought the studded tire fee, but recently got new stud free tires, can I get a refund?
    • No
  • Do I need any evidence in the windshield of the car?
    • No, everything is electronic. No physical wafer needed.
  • Do I need to pay studded tire fee on bicycles or motorcycles?
    • No.
  • I accidentally managed to pay twice or more, can I get a refund?
    • Yes, send us your account number, which phone number and registration number was registered. Customers who have paid through EasyPark must contact EasyPark directly phone: 23 30 88 80 Mail:
  • I have a HC certificate and I’ve read that I can get my money back?
    • Yes, a car where a driver or passenger brings a parking permit for disabled people is exempted from the studded tire charge. The HC certificate is personal and does not follow the car. Send copy agreement / HC card to, please include which account number you want the money to and which registration number you paid the fee for.
  • My car has been condemned, can I get a refund?
    • Yes, we must have documentation that the car has actually been condemned, send this to us at mail If you want the fee transferred to the new car, provide us with the new registration number.
  • I’ve managed to type in the wrong registration number, what do I do?
  • I want to change my registration number because of different reasons, can you help?
  • I have problems with Stavanger Parking KF’s app / website
    • For problems regarding finding your receipt, check here.
    • Check coverage on the card
    • Check your mobile coverage
    • Check for valid cards, we accept Visa, Mastercard and Amex
    • Check expiration date on card, if the cards expiration date is a month or less after purchase date, the transaction will not be approved. (For example, if you make a purchase in November and the card expires in December, it will not go through)